Subject: [Leica] New Zeiss lenses compared against Leica
From: lmc at interlink.es (Luis Miguel Castañeda)
Date: Wed Dec 22 08:09:45 2004

On 22 de dic de 2004, at 16:22, Karen Nakamura wrote:

> These were all subjective tests using real photgraphs and real models,
> by the way.

Subjective test are -imho- the most accurate tests for users as far as
from I see it everything involved  in photography but
optic/electronic/mechanical design is just subjective.

> Not MTF or lab tests.

Im really glad to hear it.

> And contrary to what you say, you can tell the difference even in a
> magazine reproduction.

Well, in fact that's just I was trying to say (sorry if I wasnt clear
enough, english isnt my first language), I do prefer the pics [even a
set suspiciously favourable to one side] instead a whole stack of MTF
and related comments.

> All in all, I'm really excited by this news.

It's always great to have more than two choices...

> If you're not interested, then don't buy or read! :-)

Certainly I wont buy [ unemployed condition won't allow me to pay even
1/3 Leica price :( ] but they may be on my whishlist, even the Ikon, I
do like its base length.

> They do mention bokeh and OOF (to reference another question). They
> say they are roughly equivalent but the ZI is softer while the ASPH
> generally are a bit harsher and thicker.

I never found the leica asph or pre-asph 'cron versions too smooth when
lights are involved into the out of focus zone, in that case I always
tought that zeiss lenses were doing it far much better. In the other
hand -yet subjectively- I've preferred how the pre-asph crons photos
looks rather than contax G series (to say anything similar) or even
asph crons meanwhile asph are supposed to be better lenses...

Thats why I do prefer to see pictures than the usual tests.

Saludos
http://imaginarymagnitude.net/blog/

Message from mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura) ([Leica] New Zeiss lenses compared against Leica)