Subject: [Leica] Was Lens caps, now Jupiter
From: doubs43 at cox.net (Walker Smith)
Date: Sun Dec 19 19:23:24 2004

I own two Jupiter-3 lenses. One is in LTM while the other is for the
Kiev/Contax. The LTM lens cam takes the rangefinder just past infinity
while my genuine Leitz lenses are perfect in that respect. I haven't
taken my experimenting with that particular lens beyond that point so
far. It's reported over on the Russian Camera Forum that there is a
difference in the helical threads that cause Soviet LTM lens to be off
at close distances when used on Leica bodies. I can't verify that. I can
only pass it on FWIW. When I have the time, I'll do some more experimenting.

The J-3 Kiev mount lens is good on my Kiev-4AM at infinity and up close.
I checked the rangefinder against the image at the film plane on ground
glass and it is accurate. I haven't had time to check results on film
yet but will in the near future. Given that the J-3 is a copy of the
Sonnar, a good example will give excellent results. Finding a good
example is a hit-or-miss proposition. That holds true for all of the
Jupiter lenses but when you get a decent example, it's generally very
good indeed. Many of the Jupiter lenses will require a re-lube of the
helicals but that's not too difficult in most cases. I've re-lubed LTM
J-8's in less than an hour. The J-9 (85mm f/2) takes longer. So does the
J-11 & J-12.

Walker Smith