Subject: [Leica] What happened to the Leica link that looked up whether a black camera was authentic?
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue Dec 14 23:23:16 2004

I think there are loads of errors in the finish part of the Leica sales
list. I would imagine that those batches that are marked are right but
there are plenty of cameras which do not seem to be fakes which were
perhaps one off orders and were not marked individually in the Leitz
records. In addition it is sometimes unclear where the end of a batch
actually is. I can't imagine that the clerk responsible for filling the
ledger in was aware of the weight which would eventually be given to
it. I would imagine the most important column for them was the customer
column!
There is an Italian Gentleman who started a spreadsheet where
enthusiasts could email in with all sorts of details about their
cameras, as more people add information gaps get filled and the exact
serial number at which various changes are introduced become clear. It
is a bit of an anorak idea but one thing I noticed is that there seem
to be batches of black or coloured cameras which are not in the
official records. This means either the records have errors or that
fakes were often faked in batches of sequential serial numbers! At
least if you fancy a black one these are cheaper because the anal
collectors don't want them.
Frank