Subject: [Leica] Printer experiences of the LUG
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Dec 12 16:14:26 2004

Roger,
First, Ritz is retail so the Canon probably has a higher profit margin
and is in deeper stock than the Epson.

The Canon will print 13X19, is very fast, and if your color space is
coherent will give you very good B&W prints.  It prints best on Canon
papers and does a very good job printing on Epson papers.  Print fading
will be severe in bright light and print life will be in the ten year
range.  Mac compatibility will be OK.

I have had the R800 since late August.  Print speed is in the two minute
range for an 8X10.  For me, it has produced wonderful prints both B&W
and color with out fail.  I convert Kodak RGB coming off my scanner to
Adobe RGB and use that color space carried over to the printer.  The
print preview is very accurate to the final image.  I have run all kinds
of paper through my printer including the very thick watercolor papers
that have to be fed through the back. I have had no issues with
displayed prints in south facing windows although I have some pretty
fair overhangs so direct exposure is only a few hours a day.

Epson pay particular attention to the MAC platform so there should be no
operating system issues

So far, I have had no issues with clogging, banding, odd colors, or
other complaints with ink/pigment jet printers.

I am pretty sure that I will acquire the replacement for the 2200 when
it comes out as I have found more need than I thought for larger prints.
Not having to change carts when printing on gloss then matte is a true
delight.

Yes, I am a happy R800 owner.  I would be an Ecstatic owner if the price
of the ink dropped as my local retailer loves to see my face...

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com