Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital Module R sensor vs EOS 1D IIS
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Dec 11 20:56:58 2004

Nathan Wajsman said:
> At the end of the day, what matters to me is quality of the images. I made
> the switch only after I had seen with my own eyes what is possible and
> became convinced that I can achieve image quality on par with film.<<<<

Hi Nathan,
yep that's the bottom line of it! Some folks base their remarks on what
they've heard or seen from a small or poor digi camera and a not so good a
printer which only compounds the appearance of poor digital camera, printer
out put. And because of what we might say is... "one bad experience" they
don't see digital as a viable film replacement and drop digital like a hot
potato.

Or they get all hung up on numbers which in turn compounds the issue rather
than look at the final product/print and what do you see when in the hands
of a regular or professional user.

Sure I'm as tied to my Leicas as strongly as I've always been and yes they
perform beautifully and faithfully. However, if I'd have of believed some of
the early people whom I worked with when they were vehemently against 35mm
and the smallest negative should never be smaller than a Hassleblad 2 1/4
sq. I'd have never taken up with Leica, and where would I have been today?
Lost in the world of no where!

All I did was trust my heart and common sense of what I felt was right and
that was shooting with a Leica and everything grew from there. Today, if I
or many others were to listen to the anti-hype toward digital we'd all be
shooting film. When an incredible opportunity of learning and producing
photography would pass us by like a ship on a moonless night! :-(

I'm afraid the anti-digital never give into it until Leica come out with
whatever some long time into the future are wasting their time and wonderful
opportunities for experience while learning this new craft of photography. I
feel it's better to accept it's here, and moving like a flash of lightening,
so why deny it Accept it for what it is, "A new form of producing
photography and pretty well all that goes with it."

The silly arguments of print quality are becoming a dead horse to beat, when
a good digital camera, good printer and photographer are married they
produce very beautiful off spring without question. The more I've shot 20D
digital this past few weeks, the more I'm seeing results beyond that of film
in quality. And quite frankly I no longer pay any attention to nay sayers as
they speak with forked tongues and in-experience.

And yes as soon as I have a situation requiring my Leicas and film, they'll
be in my hands in a heart beat. But until that happens I'm staying with
digital and learning to produce the best prints possible that continue to
amaze me each time I've shot where I'd have never gone before.

ted

Replies: Reply from jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden) ([Leica] Re: Digital Module R sensor vs EOS 1D IIS)
Reply from vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster) ([Leica] Re: Digital Module R sensor vs EOS 1D IIS)
Message from nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Re: Digital Module R sensor vs EOS 1D IIS)