Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital Module R sensor vs EOS 1D IIS
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri Dec 10 22:14:58 2004

Emanuel,

This is what I thought digital imaging was like, until I tried it.
Admittedly, my transition was not from pure film/darkroom, since I had
been using the digital darkroom (film scanner plus printer) for printing
for the last several years. But now that I have made the jump, I can say
the following:

- my fear about batteries was overblown. I bought two spare batteries
for my Canon, but on most days I do not need more than one. Earlier this
week I shot over 300 images during 1.5 days in Seville and did not have
to change battery. I do not use flash and I very rarely review the
images on the LCD screen. Putting a battery in the charger overnight is
truly NO BIG DEAL.

- storage: same story as for batteries. I have a portable hard drive to
take along on trips so that I can dump the contents of the flash cards
on it without having to carry a notebook PC. But with the prices of
flash cards being what they are, I now have 4 GB of storage (one 2 GB
card and two 1 GB cards) in my bag. Collectively, these three cards
weigh less than a roll of film and can hold about 430-450 images between
them, shooting RAW with my 8 MP DSLR. My camera bag is certainly lighter
for not having to carry 12-14 rolls of film (the equivalent of the
capacity of the flash cards).

- when I get home, the process is no different for me than before, only
faster. Instead of scanning film, I transfer the images to the computer
and review them on the screen, deciding which ones to trash, which ones
to just convert to TIFF and save, and which ones merit further work in
Photoshop. From this point on, the process is exactly the same as it was
with scanned images. One difference is that I no longer have to worry
about removing spots on the image resulting from dust and scratches from
the film.

In summary: the hassle factor is LESS with digital imaging by an order
of magnitude. There are other reasons for not using digital imaging, but
this is certainly not one of them.

Regarding technological change: sure, things move on. Next year Canon
will probably come out with an improved camera which will make my 20D
obsolete. But so what? My camera does not get worse because there is a
newer model out there. It will continue to produce excellent images. In
the meantime, by the end of this year I will have saved several hundred
Euros in film and processing, coming close to having "paid" for the camera.

At the end of the day, what matters to me is quality of the images. I
made the switch only after I had seen with my own eyes what is possible
and became convinced that I can achieve image quality on par with film.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands