Subject: [Leica] RD1 first experience and questions
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sat Dec 11 04:11:16 2004

Hi all,
I have taken 50 or so pictures in various conditions and with 35 f1.4
aspherical, 28 f2.8 lenses and a 15 f4.5 CV to compare with the extreme
vignetting observed by Henning.
I can see that the 15 is emergency only with extreme vignetting way
more than the same lens on film (I have used it a lot) even not taking
into account the 1.5x crop. It is even worse than I was expecting.

This brings me to the first question. I was led to believe that the
Epson raw convertor had compensation algorithms for the various CV
lenses built in. I am using the photoshop plugin on a Mac and can not
find this in any menu. There is a vignetting compensation slider but
even at 100% it is still inadequate to correct the CV 15mm. How do I
find it?

The results from the Leica lenses are very pleasing so far. I am going
to the wedding of a close friend's daughter today so I may do a few
candids with the RD1 and 35 f1.4

My second question concerns the shutter speed display in the
viewfinder. At first I did not realise there was such a display but
eventually caught sight of it by accident whilst moving the camera
around. My eye needs to be well away from the centre of the viewfinder
for the led to align with the masks with the numbers in. If my eye is
centred I can, in some lights, see the numbers but I have to move my
eye very low and left to see which one has a light shining through it.
I assume it is faulty and will have to be returned :-(
Frank

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas M. Sharp) ([Leica] RD1 first experience and questions)
Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] RD1 first experience and questions)
Message from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] A few images of my Nepal trip)