Subject: [Leica] RD-1 and I
From: TTAbrahams at aol.com (TTAbrahams@aol.com)
Date: Wed Dec 8 18:32:22 2004

Epson, Japan graciously lent me a RD-1 at photokina to try. It has been in
my
hands now for over three months - it has also been in lots of other hands as
I have lent it to a multitude of friends who are Leica/CV users and also
digital shooters. The biggest problem has been to get it back from these
guys "Oh,
can I keep it for another day, please" was a common request. It turns out
that
even for a devoted film-user; the RD-1 is highly addictive. You keep digging
through your lens cabinet for stranger and stranger lenses to adapt to it
"just to see how it works". In the end I added up the lenses I used on the
RD-1
and it came to more than 55, ranging from 12/5,6 Ultra-Wide Heliar to a
200/4
Micro-Nikkor!
 Mine came with the Multilanguage printed manual although I have not used it
since I unpacked the camera in Cologne, just to find out were to put the
battery and the SD-card. It is an intuitive camera particularly if you are
used to
a Leica M or Bessa RF camera. There is nothing complex about the controls
and
the buttons are few and simple to understand. The menus are easy to grasp,
and
once in black/white mode I left the speed at 400 ASA, put the camera in
AE-mode and just kept shooting. Only correction I did was to increase the
edge
sharpness slightly and occasionally increase contrast (the prewar Hektor
50/2,5
and Summar are rather flat) or decrease it when using modern, multicoated
Aspherical lenses (these tend to be a bit over-corrected and often can fry
the
highlights).
 For a while my only problem was when I used 12/15 and 21 lenses as the
finder only shows the 28/35/50 frames (corrected for the 1,5 sensor size)
but
Stephen Gandy sent me a set of Voigtlander finders for these focal-lengths
and that
solved the problem. He also included a set of adapters that allowed me to
put
Leica SLR lenses and Nikon SLR lenses on a Leica M (hence the 200/4 Micro
Nikkor and also the 100/2,8 Apo-Elmarit as well as 50/2 R  and an old 35/2
Nikkor).
 The RD-1 is going back to Epson, Japan  next week and truth be known, I
will
miss it! It is not a substitute for a M2 or a Bessa R2, but it is a great
complement to silver based photography. There has been a lot of noise being
made
about the rangefinder accuracy and difficulties using it with Noctiluxes,
75/1,4 Summilux and the 90 Summicron. If you treat it like a 0,58 M-camera,
you
should have no problem as the short rangefinder base limits the precision
you
need to focus these lenses. My "kit", at least until Stephen sent me the
finders, was a 28/3,5 CV lens, a 35/2 Summicron and the new 50/1,4 Asph
Summilux and
once I got the finders - the 21/4 VC lens joined the package (and become the
favorite, a slightly wide 35 and tack sharp!) With a 512 SD card I could
shoot
about 120-130 images without running out of space and in "high" (6MP mode)
that would use up about ? the battery charge.
 It is a camera that is "made "for street shooting - it is less obvious than
an oversized digital SLR and it has a finder that actually works - something
that is lacking in most of the P&S digital cameras. With the 21 or 28 you
can
work with the hyper-focal setting and coupled to the excellent meter you get
more than usual good "hits".
 There has been complains too about the fall off with the 12 and 15mm lenses
- of course you get fall off - these are ultra-wides and fall off is part of
the design. If you shoot in RAW-mode, Epson supplies a CD that corrects
this,
but I have no idea how that works and truth be known, I like edge fall off
with
ultra-wides. You never have to edge burn a print again!
 My only problem so far has nothing to do with the RD-1. It comes from my
Luddite attitude to digital photography. I shoot a 512 card full, load it
onto
the G-4 and if I can remember how, I burn a CD and then what! I could of
course
get a printer and start printing stuff, but I still resent paying huge
amount
of money for miniscule amount of ink. I can knock out 8x10 RC prints in my
darkroom for less than $ 0,35 each (including paper, chemicals) and do it
faster
than the printer can!
 The biggest problem with the RD-1 is still the price - at $3,000 it is an
expensive camera body and for many of us it is a choice of yet another Leica
MP
or a whole lot of Bessa R2's or R3's with several lenses and the more
simplified and secure storage that film still allows us. This said, it is a
hell of a
fun camera to use - just turn the screen in, stick a SD-card in it and a
fully
charged battery and shoot away. You will find yourself spending an
inordinate
time in front of the computer screen going "damn, I am good" or words to
that
effect! Oh, it also works with a Visoflex 3 - which would make a 560/6,8 an
interesting proposition!
 The Nikon/Leica SLR adapters are neat. It is a helicoil with a M-mount and
nicely engraved distance scale on them. At the other end is either a Leica
SLR or Nikon SLR mount. The adapter is coupled to the rangefinder, but the
lens
is not! Weird, but it works, albeit a bit slow. You simply focus on the
object, transfer the distance setting from the adapter to the lens and
shoot. It is
limited to about 0,75 meter for close focusing, but you can use macro
settings
by simply measuring from film plane to subject and rack the lens to that. I
found that shooting wide-open with longer lenses was a bit iffy, but
anything
like a 24,28,35 and50 worked fine - even the venerable 105/2,5 (which on the
RD-! becomes a 150+mm lens) worked fine. It does expand the choice of lenses
and
it will be a great excuse for going out and finding some good SLR-lenses to
add to the kit. Next project is to find my 50/2 Summicron R (early Leicaflex
SL
version) and try that out. The 100/2,8 Apo-Macro worked but wide-open it was
a bit "hit and miss".
 The Zeiss Ikon lenses should be highly suitable for the RD-1 too. I only
had
a chance to shoot with the 25/2,8 at photokina and it looks very promising.
So promising that I have one on order!
Zeiss/Hasselblad would not let me play with the 15/21 and 85 at that time,
but later I will try to lay my hands on them. Both the 15 and the 85 are
HUGE
and heavy - the rest of the lenses are more moderately sized. My point in
using
rangefinder cameras has always been compactness and portability. I rather
have
a slow, smaller lens than a large, heavy lens with a speed that I would most
likely only use intermittently. Film can be pushed and in the case of
something like the RD-1, just rack up the ISO setting to 1600 and your 21/4
becomes a
21/2. Yes, it will have "grain" (aka digital noise!) but if you shoot Neopan
1600 you also get grain. Big deal!
Yes, I will miss the RD-1, but I also am slightly relieved to be able to go
back to Tri-X - at least I know what to do with the negatives, but being
slightly less of a digital luddite now, I could see myself sticking a RD-1
or
something like that in my camera bag at some time in the near future.
Analogically Yours,
Tom A
----
Tom Abrahamsson