Subject: [Leica] WHICH FILM ??? (COLOUR NEG FOR A WEDDING)
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed Dec 8 04:32:57 2004

Alexander,
Depending on the time of day or location of the wedding you should
choose your film speed.  Daylight wedding with good light then drop down
to the 100 to 160 films, evening, or late, or very heavily stained glass
so light levels are low then go to 800.

In all cases choose one of the professional portrait films such as
Kodak's Portra or Fuji's NPS, NPH, or NPZ.  You will see much better
skin tones and the ability to hold shadow detail that is advisable for
wedding images.

I would personally choose NPZ (800 ISO) unless the whole affair is
outdoors in good light as there is no grain or sharpness loss compared
to all but the 100 speed emulsions.  No matter what the plans, the
brides dressing room is frequently a romantically dark hole, some of the
best people images occur in dark hallways, the sun always goes behind a
very black cloud, it starts to rain...  Even though I can frequently
hand hold 1/4 to 1/8 second shots with an M, the people I am shooting
don't conveniently stand still and you don't get second chances so
choose a decent F stop for DOF but also go for the fastest shutter speed
you can.

The images that one of our members showed two weeks ago of a reception
dance were wonderfully blurred and did work most excellently well as
images, but you would not want your whole book full of blurs.

0.02

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com