Subject: [Leica] Bad Exposure or Something Else?
From: lambroving at worldnet.att.net (William G. Lamb, III)
Date: Mon Dec 6 21:18:58 2004

Dick,

Had you used Royal Supra 200 for your shot instead of Portra 400NC and
under-exposed about a stop with your M7 on "Auto" with the exposure lock, I
expect you would have gotten about what Douglas did, and with a lot more of
the "crackle" of film on the bark of those trees while still having a good
bit of shadow detail. The 400 Supra might have worked as well, but I use it
for flatter light normally, so I'm not certain.

Until recently B&H had pro-packs (5 rolls) of the 200, USAW (made here for
sale abroad). They do not currently, but still have some 400 and 800
available. This changes from time-to-time. Royal Supra is just magnificent
film, very fine-grained, just the right saturation for my taste to record
colors delicately, less grain at 200 than Fuji Superia at 100, very sharp
and easy to scan, and with a less fragile base stock than the Fuji. It has
recently been discontinued in Europe to be replaced by 200 & 400 Elite
negative, (which may be slightly punchier), but Supra IS NOT discontinued
in Australia and the Far East. I have about 15 rolls of the 200 left, but
will keep looking periodically on the B&H site for more. I assume that film
going to the Far East is still being manufactured in Rochester...

Best,

William

Replies: Reply from mak at teleport.com (Mark Kronquist) ([Leica] Pricing Help odd body and lenses If TTH 50 f2 lots of bits)
Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] Bad Exposure or Something Else?)