Subject: [Leica] Fw: OT HP 7690 Print Longevity
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Dec 5 11:42:46 2004

Benjamin Marks offered:
>>> The HP printer is certainly more idiot proof. I used it out of the box
>>> with
> all of its factory settings and have been happy ever since. <<<<<<

Hi Benjamin,
We've fired up 2  EPSON 2200 printers within a year and both came out of the
box, got plugged in and we went to print with whatever happened out of the
box. No screwing around with the many things we see about calibration, paper
customizing, other inks etc and the prints, both B&W and colour up to 13X19
are beautiful.

The prints have been from scanned 35mm slides, colour neg or B&W negs. Also
from Digilux 2, Canon G5 and recently from a new Canon 20D. My gut feeling
is if one runs with what the machine arrives with, it seems they work
extremely well. If one isn't well understanding of the parameters of the
technical side of printers and you begin to mess around wanting an improved
image or range, then the chances are the whole thing gets screwed-up and one
has nothing but later grief.

As I'm sure you are aware I'm a great believer in KISS for anything and the
simpler one keeps their machines working and are happy with the results,
then don't mess with them.

However, I've learned lots of folks like to mess with things just to see
what will happen. I do that also, as long as I know how to get it exactly
back to "kiss simple without problem." ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] Fw: OT HP 7690 Print Longevity)