Subject: [Leica] Canon 20D ;-)
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Thu Dec 2 23:17:08 2004

You'll find that the Leica lenses are substantially more difficult to
focus on the 20D than on the R8. The viewfinder for the 20D is
designed for autofocus. So mount the 100 APO (which is now 160) but be
wary. You'll have to really zoom in on the image after you've shot it
to find out if you were in focus. I actually think you'll gravitate to
autofocus lenses for precisely that reason.

As was mentioned elsewhere the 24-70 F2.8L is a VERY fine lens. Not a
Leica lens but very very nice. The digital shots from the southwest
were all made with it although I was using a 10D and not the 20D.

Actually I think B. D. is right - the digital answer in the state of
the art is a 1Ds MkII that is full frame, 16.7 MPixel. This camera can
mount, and focus, Leica lenses and offers a wide variety of focusing
screens. At $8k US it's about the same price as a new R9 with a
digital back - assuming you can get one (and assuming you can buy the
Canon also since my dealer can't even extort a price quote out of
Canon on one at this point.)

Still, I'm glad you're having a great time exploring the 20D. I
strongly recommend turning on the extended range and seeing what you
can do at ASA 3200. Frankly I'm amazed. Digital noise isn't the same
as grain in very fast films and you may not like it, but I think it'll
open your eyes about shooting in natural light. Today I was out
working at 800 and 1600 to explore these very features. I'll post a
couple of examples.

Adam