Subject: [Leica] WAS Magnum Stories NOW Robert Frank Storylines
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu Dec 2 17:51:16 2004

My God, Greg, we actually agree on something 100 percent! :-)

Though many artists head off in different directions during the course
of their careers, the photo world would have benefited from Frank's
sticking with the kind of traditional documentary work that gained him
such acclaim. He had an eye like few others before or since, and an
ability to use shadow and darkness that was just stunning. One of the
best examples of his eye is the photo in The Americans of the New
Orleans bus/street car, in which each bus window is, in itself, a framed
photograph. That is one of those photos that forces me to wonder whether
he really saw all that in a split second; whether he saw it on a
subconscious, rather than a conscious level; or whether he saw it on the
contact sheet.

B. D.