Subject: [Leica] copex question
From: dpost at triad.rr.com (Dan Post)
Date: Mon Nov 29 06:30:47 2004

animal wrote:

>Hallo i will have to devellop some rolls of agfa copex shortly
>Would anyone care to offer any advice?
>Thanks,simon jessurun,amsterdam

Hr. Animal-
Funny you should ask! I bought about 11 of the 30.5m rolls of COPEX a
while back, and sold most on The Auction Site That Shall Remain
Un-named, with the recommendation of both Technidol, and Rodinal 1:100.
Copex is really a thin emulsion microfilm product, but can be
successfully used for pictorial images if you can use a low contrast,
compensating developer.
Having kept a couple of rolls of the stuff for myself, and it being
unperforated, I have basically been slitting it and using it in my
stable of Minox cameras.! :o)
I also have been playing with variatiuons of  the Kodak D-23 formulas;
there are a myriad of them listed on the web- from single solution
formulae to two part D-23 ones. Basically, I thought the so called
Gigabit developers were completely outrageously expensive, and if
acceptable results can be had with something as mundane as Rodinal and
D-23 (both exceedingly economical to use) then so much the better.
Rodinal 1:100 ( I shot it at ISO 40 and developed it in a Minox tank for
12" at about 72 degress F; Since the Monox tank holds only 53ml of
developer, I am sure that the eveness in development came from the
compensating effect of the developer exhausting in the highlights with
such a small amount of developer! It gave me a grain pattern on the
Minox negatives- 8X11mm and enlarged to 5X7- that was visually similar,
at least to me, to Tri-X 35mm negatives. Technidol gave even finer
grain, and I am sure that if you play around a bit with it- isn't that
what makes this all the more fun?, that you will find a happy medium.

So far- I am getting mixed results with the D-23; I am still playing
with it.
Good luck, and best of light to you!
Dan