Subject: [Leica] fibre based printing in the uk
From: dark.star at btinternet.com (Leopold Green)
Date: Sun Nov 28 14:38:39 2004

Ok I'm a lurker [recently rejoined to the Lug after several years
absence]!

Unlike many of you, at least many of the more prolific posters, I admit
myself to be a part time hobbyist photographer who happens to use a
Leica [primarily because I feel actual ownership of the picture which
is very nice on the few occasions I get something I really like]...I
don't have Photoshop, a slide scanner, an inkjet printer or a website
so I can't show you anything of mine [actually the sharing of pictures
on the LUG is the one thing that could almost persuade me to join the
digital era]...also I don't do my own darkroom printer [I realise from
recent posts that this disqualifies me from being a photographer in
some people's eyes although the quaint English expression 'bollocks'
springs to my mind] so I rely on others to develop the films and then
on others to print the odd photograph - here in the UK I have never
found a pro-lab that either prints quality black and white or who will
even approach fibre based paper printing. For many years a wonderful
photographer and master printer called Barry Thornton used to develop
and print my films/occasional picture - unfortunately [and this really
is a time when the word I use is simply not fitting for its task] Barry
died a little while back...it seems selfish and cavalier [mentioning
death and the search for quality photographic printing in the same
sentance] to reduce this text to the next part about searching around
the UK to find someone else who could produce a print as fine as a
[leica] lens is able to take but I have tried for nearly two years and
to no avail.

so my question - does any UK lugger [or indeed any lugger] know of
someone who can and will [for remuneration] produce the sort of fine
print that many of you [equipped with years of experience and/or real
darkroom/photoshop experience] are able to achieve for yourself.

if anyone has any recommendations please let me know, it would be a
real favour!

Leopold
[England]

Replies: Reply from gwpics at lycos.co.uk (Gerry Walden) ([Leica] fibre based printing in the uk - serious answer)