Subject: [Leica] Magnum Stories
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sun Nov 28 11:57:04 2004

Got a chance yesterday to actually take a look at this book - For anyone
at all interested not only in the stories behind the stories, but also
in how Magnum members approach story telling, this is a definite must.
It includes everything from Capa's D-Day work, to Eugene Smith's Country
Doctor, to Bruce Davidson's subway project, to stuff by lesser known
Magnum members - 61 in all. In each case there's an extensive interview
or text, and then lot's of images. And for those only interested in
"Leica photography," allot of this stuff was shot with Leicas, and the
vast majority of it was shot with film. Someone - I can't immediately
think of who it was and I haven't yet purchased the book so I can't
check right away - talks about having used film throughout his career
and now having to deal with the fact that the film era is approaching
its end. Interesting, valuable stuff.