Subject: [Leica] Something rather different
From: profmason at yahoo.com (John Mason)
Date: Thu Nov 25 17:43:08 2004

John, Daniel, and I have discovered that each of us is
an academic who walks to work daily and conducts
research in Africa.

John wrote:

>Walking is a good preparation for the day and a
>de-connector for returning home.

Absolutely.

>What draws you to Africa?  For me it is cassava.

For me, history.  My first book had to do with slavery
and freedom in the Cape Colony (South Africa) in the
early 19th century.

I'm now working on politics and popular culture in
South Africa in the 1950s, '60s, and '70s.

First project required many trips to Cape Town.  With
the second I've had to add Jo'burg and Durban to my
itinerary.

--John

=====
J Mason