Subject: [Leica] Re: Nikon's profits tripled
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Nov 23 16:16:55 2004

On 11/23/04 1:03 PM, "Frank Dernie" <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com> typed:

> Hi Simon,
> I scan at the native resolution of my Nikon 8000 scanner, 4000dpi. At
> this scan rate I get pretty hideous grain aliasing on fast print film
> but nice scans from slides. The 8000 produced noticeably better scans
> than the 4000 which has nominally the same spec. I have no idea why.
> The biggest prints I have from digital are A3 plus.
> Frank

Frank I hope you've gone out and bought some 13x19 paper. I've been working
with the stuff. Enhanced Matte from Epson to be exact, formerly Archival
Matte paper. Love the stuff.
13x19 rules!
They are "more humane" 16x20's.
Much more portable for some odd reason.
16x20's put through the dryer on "high".
Yet have that "not fooling around" look to them.
NOT proofs.
Yet the price point does not go against it I figured out a few weeks back.
You are Loosing money not getting that sized paper!
Unless you factor in the carts it takes to cover them.
Pigment or ink or dyes or what ever they are.
Pigment in my 2200 case.

In a 4000 I bet the might feel more like a "proof" though.

My feeling is if you cant make a 13x19 out of the thing than what the heck
good is it?!
I've gone for it with the files from my Digilux and they look surprisingly
non cruddy. You're not supposed to get decent results at 131.765 dpi but
interestingly it's not the end of the world! (17" across)

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/