Subject: [Leica] Great White Shark!
From: deveney.marty at saugov.sa.gov.au (Deveney, Marty (PIRSA))
Date: Mon Nov 22 19:25:32 2004

>We took the kidz to the aquarium. The jellies are always so mesmerizing.

The Monterey Aquarium is magnificent and your pictures show the fascinating
otherworldliness of marine life that draws humans to aquaria very well.

>We also have a Great White, the only one in captivity currently (ever?)

Underwater World at Mooloolabah in Queensland, Australia had a GWS, but only
for a relatively short period.  Others have survived in cages in the sea for
extended periods.

They're more common here (South Australia) than almost anywhere in the world
(the population at the Southern tip of South Africa may be of similar size,
but recent data indicate that they are more common here).  An awesome
animal.

A 4.5 m white shark got into a cage at a tuna farm here a last year and swam
around for a few days until a shark expert from Sydney got it out.  Many
present knew what needed to be done, but Ian Gordon was the only person game
enough to get in with it, particularly seeing as during the whole ordeal an
even larger (5.5+m) shark had presented itself outside the cage.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/06/22/1056220478379.html?oneclick=tru

http://www.abc.net.au/northandwest/news/200306/s884731.htm

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,6649866%5E2702
,00.html

I dip my hat to whoever got that shark into the Monterey aquarium.

Marty