Subject: [Leica] Re: Nikon's profits tripled
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Mon Nov 22 07:16:38 2004

Hey, I wasn't the one criticizing the camera. ;-)
Nikon has had, and seems to continue to have, a marketing/design
philosophy which runs counter to the general LUG view of the world. In
producing its pro cameras, Nikon is aiming for the PJ market, where high
resolution/pixel count is not an issue - a 5 mpg processor can easily
produce high-quality newspaper images,and can even produce good quality
magazine images. Rather than engage in the megatonage race, Nikon has
put its emphasis on improving battery life, reducing batter demand,
increasing image capture speed, and other things that PJs in the field
need far more than higher resolution.