Subject: [Leica] Re: Nikon's profits tripled
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Nov 21 22:52:51 2004

On 11/21/04 8:29 PM, "firkin" <firkin@balhpl01.ncable.net.au> typed:

> So Mark, what's your call: can I make a scan from a negative which will
> compete with this 8 megabyte level? Printing up to about 14 x 11.
>
> Mark Rabiner writes:

Perhaps an 8 meg "capture" would equal a 10 meg scan?

Boy am I having trouble with the term "capture" I'm just not going for it.
It grates when I use the term.

I'm watching "The Golden Bowl" a Henry James Merchant Ivory I'd missed.

They all rush off excitedly at a great costume ball to a room to get
photographed.

A photographer which a wooden camera on wooden tripod and an assistant off
to the side holding up a pan of flash powder.

Uma strikes a pose; her arms out straight almost.

The photographer says. "Madam!...

IF YOU ARE COMPOSED THAN I SHALL EXPOSE!"

He dos so. The flash pan goes off.

Then Jeremy Northrum is all set to go.
"SIR IF YOU ARE COMFORTABLE THEN I SHALL EXPOSE"

He takes the lens cap off and his assistant makes his flash pan go off"
How delightful!

If you think of it it's the assistant whose really taking the picture!

Me I'd rather EXPOSE a picture than "capture" it anyday.

If I was making captures I'd expect to have a butterfly net. Poised and
ready to go. No flash powder necessary.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon