Subject: [Leica] 35mm normal vs. ASPH or Spherical...Some nonsense
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Fri Nov 19 08:32:47 2004

buzz.hausner@verizon.net wrote:

>I must demur.  To call the spherical 35mm Summicron "aberation laden fuzz
>wide open" is utter nonsense.  No, this lens is not as sharp wide open as
>the aspherical expression, but wide open it is still capable of producing
>very fine images.  It's bokeh is justifiably famous and, I believe, is a
>result of having twelve diaphragm blades as opposed to the ten blades used
>(as an economy measure?) in the spherical vaersion.

This discussions seems entirely analogous to the "megapixel" debates re
5 mp vs. 10 mp vs. 22 mp sensors. Sure 5 mp will give an acceptable
image just as the pre-Asph 35 'lux works just great in most situations
-- I've produced fine pics wide open staring into lights. Sharpness (nor
resolution) are  not the only qualities by which we judge a photograph.
That said, for subjects which are intended to be tack sharp or for whom
it is best to exhibit the finest detail, technological advances are
helpful. But that said, many times an old lens produces a nice glow.

Jonathan

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] 35mm normal vs. ASPH or Spherical...Some nonsense)