Subject: [Leica] M4 - M4P - M4-2
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli di Giorgio)
Date: Thu Nov 18 10:07:57 2004

The M4 is the last of the "old style" M cameras. Back then the assembly
philosophy was "tweak and adjust till it works". Lots of adjusting,
filing and fiddling went into these cameras.

 From the M4-2 on Leica went with a system known as tolerance-assembly.
If a part didn't fit it was replaced with one that did. Workers no
longer sat there filing and adjust until things worked. Manufacturers
across the industry turned to this method, to lower labor costs.

Back in the 70's Leica found itself in financial trouble. The M5
tanked, the SL2 was losing money and the rangefinder market was getting
killed by the Nikon F el al. Leica made one last batch of M4 cameras
and then stopped production.
This caused an uprising among M shooters and after a short period Leica
backed down, but had to make some changes
in order to survive. They redesigned some parts of the mechanism,
eliminated things like the self-timer and adopted modern assembly
methods. Then they moved the entire production to Canada, where they
were already making and designing lenses.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM.

Early M4-2's are considered problematic, because it took them a while
to get things up and running. If you avoid these and find a late one
you should be ok.  If you do get one I strongly suggest you send it to
someone like Sherry, DAG or Kindermann to get a CLA. Frankly any camera
you get that is that old should be cleaned and adjusted.

The first two batches:

12/7/1977       M4-2 ELC                1480001 - 1482000       2000 units

4/4/1978                M4-2 ELC        1502001 - 1504000               2000
units

Look here for the rest:

http://www.cameraquest.com/mtype.htm

Leica made some changes starting with the M4-2. I have both an M4 and
M4-2, which recently was gone over by Sherry.

Here are the differences.

M4-2 vs M4:

- The M4-2 vulcanite pattern is a little coarser, but not unattractive.
Just different.

- The self-timer was eliminated.

- The film type reminder on the M4-2 was simplified.

- The rewind lever is not as 'tight' as on the M4 and now has a plastic
tip. It's not bad, just not perfect, like the one on the M4. My TTL has
the worst rewind lever of any M I have seen. It's fit and finish is
borderline crude. Things didn't change back to M4 standards until the
M7, although I don't think the plastic tip ever went away.

- The script on the top plate is stamped instead of engraved. On the
M4-2 it only says 'Leitz' and 'Made in Canada', instead of 'Leica DBP
ERNST LEITZ GMBH WETZLAR GERMANY'. The top plate is brass. Almost all
M4-P use a zinc alloy like the M6/TTL.

- 95% of the M4-2 were made in Canada. I think almost all M4 were made
in Germany.

- Black M4-2 cameras are anodized, not black paint. Black M4's came in
paint and lacquer.

- Leica eliminated a condenser from the M4-2 rangefinder. That decision
has haunted us for the past 25 years (M4-P, M6, M6TTL)  and it was only
with the MP and M7 that it was replaced. Early M7 cameras (like mine)
are also missing this condenser. As a result the finderpatch can be
prone to flare under certain circumstances. Oddly enough my M4-2 flares
less than my TTL.

- One positive change in the M4-2 was the addition of the motor drive
link. The M4-2 also uses steel gears, instead of brass (as does the
M6/TTL/MP/M7).  So, unlike the M4 the M4-2/M4-P can take a Leicavit,
Rapidwinder or motor-winder.

- The M4-2 and M4-P have a hot shoe for flash. The one on the M4 isn't
'hot'. Both the M4 and M4-2 have M and X plugs.

There are some nice touches to the M4-2 that you won't see on some of
the more modern M cameras like black crinkle paint and the brass top
plate with the logo. The finder has the larger old style framelines for
35/50/90/135, which also makes things less crowded in there. I don't
miss the self timer and prefer the vulcanite over vinyl.

Compared to the M4? Some people, including myself, think the M4 may be
the finest M camera Leica ever made. It really is in a class of it's
own, a product of a time long gone.

The M4-P is basically an M6 without the meter. It's a good, solid
reliable camera that is a real bargain.

So, there it is. I've only had the M4-2 for short while, but so far it
looks good. Regardless of what camera you decide on make sure you get
it cleaned. The difference is like day and night. Sherry K, DAG,
Kindermann, Leica NJ/Solms all do fine work. Look here for more
information

http://www.lhsa.org/repair.html

http://www.nemeng.com/leica/016b.shtml

Feli