Subject: [Leica] Why do we do it ?
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sat Nov 13 17:22:00 2004

on 11/13/04 10:05 AM, Dan Colucci at colucci@thehearth.org wrote:

> We convince ourselves we need to have the lastest APO, ASPH Super
> Noctiluxor
> Lens at $ 5,000 ?  Why ?
>
> I NEED HELP.....DO YOU ?

Yes, and I get help here.  I've bought and sold a lot more photo equipment
because of the LUG than I ever imagined I would.  And it has helped.

Because of the LUG there has been an abundance of toys to play with.  Nearly
anything was available if I was patient, at good prices and from decent
people.  This made it very easy to accumulate too much stuff.  I went
through the stage of trying everything, having to have lots and lots of
toys, only to find I only used a few of them to make my best photos and the
rest of the stuff was bogging me down.

Because of the LUG I could see what other people are doing with their photo
equipment and I learned where my strengths and weaknesses are; I realized
what I want to photograph, what works for me, how to allocate my precious
time and how to identify the tools and toys that don't play to my strengths.

Because of the LUG I found a ready market for the toys I wasn't using.  My
photo kit is now much more aligned with my needs than is was a few years ago
and I can spend a much bigger portion of the scant time allocated to
photography on making photographs instead of fussing over the hardware.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com