Subject: [Leica] Focal Point Lens / coating repair
From: sethrosner at direcway.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Sat Nov 13 13:32:14 2004

John Van Stelten is absolutely first-rate, reliable, prompt as Jeffery
wrote. There may be as good but I do not believe that there is a better
Leitz/Leica lens person in North America. He has serviced a good number of
Leica lenses for me, all the highest quality work. I recollect he also
serviced a Kern 50/1,9 Macro-Switar, a superb world-class lens that has been
out of production for at least a quarter century.

A caution however on the collapsible Summicron with "scratched" coating. If
the front element is "scratched", it is very likely that not only the
coating is affected but also the glass. That front element is probably
irreplaceable today and scratches are likely to be difficult to cure without
a new element. If they are at or near the center of the lens, they can
seriously affect your images.

Usually if something is too cheap to believe, there is a reason.

If you want to take a chance and spend some money to have John examine the
lens and tell you whether or not it is worth the expense to repair, that is
one thing. But I would get in writing from the seller that he will refund
your full purchase price if the lens, on examination, is not adequately
reparable. If he says no, walk away.

Seth             LaK 9