Subject: [Leica] Re: leica CL dissent
From: Summicron1 at aol.com (Summicron1@aol.com)
Date: Fri Nov 12 13:32:39 2004

In a message dated 11/12/04 10:14:17 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

> As I noted, the CL has many devoted users and it is certainly capable of
> taking fine photographs, especially with its matched 40 mm Summicron and
> 90 mm
> Elmar-C, which are bothe exceptional lenses.? However, I would urge you to
> consider the disadvantages and perhaps purchase an M or LTM body instead.
>
> ? ? ? Buzz Hausner

the CL, like every camera, is not for everyone. It is a good entry level
leica, the metering is very precise, the camera very well built, but the
lens
range is restricted by the short length of the rangefinder to, with the 90mm
lens,
lenses of f4 or smaller. I also tried to use a 35mm summilux on mine and
found it almost impossible to focus accurately. The 40mm summicron, on the
other
hand, is a gen.

The CL is an idea traveling camera, it weighs less than ltm or m bodies, its
inbuilt meter is easy to use,the camera accepts Voigtlander super-wide
lenses
without any problem although the meter does not measure them accurately
because of the physical characteristics of the lens rear elements.

The mechanical problems buzz cited are possible, but unlikely. I've owned my
CL since 1975 and never had one of those things happen -- the shutter speed
dial would be expensive to fix if it broke, but it has never broken and
won't
unless you slam your equipment around a lot.   Ditto the meter stalk. If you
are
normally careful with your equipment, you have no worries. If you are one of
those people who takes pride in having equipment that is dinged and dented
--
such people do exist -- then you shouldnot buy a CL. Or a Leica newer M, for
that matter. Buy a nicely beat-up Nikon F or an M3. They can take that sort

Only thing that did break on my CL was the nylon flanges on the take up
spool, had to be replaced in a regular service.

c trentelman

Replies: Reply from buzz.hausner at verizon.net (Buzz Hausner) ([Leica] Re: leica CL dissent)