Subject: [Leica] DMR: Hands on
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Thu Nov 11 20:39:21 2004

I don't know exactly what it is, Frank, but I think it's a very thin
piece of optical glass with (according to the Leica rep) the same
coating that is used as the final coating on their lens surfaces. He
wiped it off with your basic lens cloth - or Ted's underwear...I'm not
sure which! ;) The surface of the sensor is NOT exposed to be touched
- although you sure get a very good look at it!

The rep opined that "you don't want to do this in the desert...or a
sand storm!" I'd agree.

There is a special tool to help remove/insert the pin on the back of
the R8/R9 and to install the digital back.

The charger comes with adaptor plugs for 5 different power systems. It
plugs directly into the battery and takes about 110 minutes to charge.
The battery form-factor is quite different from those used in either
the R8 motor drive or the Canon or Digilux 2 systems. It's a long,
slender brick. The power cord plugs directly into the battery. I think
you can charge the battery in the camera as well as outside the
camera.

The "brick" plugs directly into the wall. I'm sorry Leica choose this
because in many hotel rooms this is a pain and means carrying a short
extension cord....digital folks carry enough cables without needing
yet another one! On the other hand it is much less bulky than the R8
motor drive charger.

Battery life was quoted as being "about 5 hours of straight usage at
shows" although the indicator went to 1/4 life (or so) very quickly.

There's also a different focusing screen that he showed but which
wasn't installed in the camera. It comes in a small box with the
installation tool. It has frame lines that show the cropping factor of
the sensor.

Adam