Subject: [Leica] An observation
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli di Giorgio)
Date: Wed Nov 10 20:52:26 2004

On Nov 10, 2004, at 8:09 PM, Jeffrey Lu wrote:

> The other day, in an nocturnal emergency, I ran into a local store
> looking for 120 hp5+...i saw almost no film out in the open (just a
> couple rolls of consumer colour neg) so I asked the proprietor if she
> carried any roll film.  She led me to a dorm-room fridge; there were a
> few rolls of tmax 100.  That's it.  And it was well past the exp date.
>  I hope that means she just sold all her tri-x, fp4+, hp5+, apx 100
> etc. that day and was left with the stuff nobody wants.  But I get the
> feeling that she WAS left with the stuff nobody wants, and not because
> there was a big influx of roll film buyers that day.
>
> Jeff

Ok, I hate to admit it, but I'm going to do it anyway.

I really like shooting color film. I prefer the dynamic range print
film has over digital and the fact
that it doesn't look 'plastic'.

BUT, I have been completely spoiled by the color accuracy of digital
color, especially under
changing light sources. Auto white balance is a gift from heaven or at
least Japan. What I do
greatly dislike about digital is the Bayer pattern smear. If there was
a full frame, 10 megapixel
FOVEON type camera out there I would be a very happy man. If then
someone could figure out
how to give me the dynamic range of print film, I would have very
little reason to shoot anything
else for color work. I'm curious to see how the new Fuji S3 turns out.
It uses a unique type of chip that
has a separate set of receptors for the highlights. I saw a few test
frames and it looked impressive.

Black and white is a whole different story... as long as they keep
making Tri-X, nobody gets hurt.

Feli

feli2@earthlink.net                    2 + 2 = 4
www.elanphotos.com