Subject: [Leica] More signs of the Digital Age
From: norman.c.aubin at boeing.com (Aubin, Norman C)
Date: Wed Nov 10 14:06:43 2004

Hi Tarek,

Thanks, I shall look for the magazines next time I am fortunate
enough to visit Paris.

I think though the way to say it is that Epsons are at 360 DPI, they
interpolate up or down from there by using the 8x8 grid of jets
that comprise the print head to make up to 8 x 360 DPI or 2480 drops
of ink, or much less by not using rows of jets to reduce the ink density.

They use various colors from each jet to get the mix of shades that
they then produce.  The multiple inks, seven vice 4, just give
finer shading of colors.  Down selecting to coarser grain,
ie 240 DPI, saves ink and time, but is not really to my eye, photo
quality, at near viewing distance.  It's great on a 16x20 viewed from
6 feet though!

Picture a checker board, and you have the image of the print head.
The Epson software controls ink to each jet, all 64, and prints 360
times the print head for each inch, on each axis.

Piezo works by taking each of the 8x8 jets, times the 360  DPI, to
give you a 2480 grid (per inch) of gray scale, thus rendering a much
smoother tonality across the page.   I love Piezo, and am looking at
an Epson 1520 as a possible, since it will do four color up to 17x23
and I prefer B&W Piezo prints at 16x20.  And it's only USD 499.00

It looks to be a good replacement for the now discontinued Epson 3000.

Regarding file sizes for an image.  I have my own rules of thumb
to decide what resolution scan I need for a fine art print.  I print at
360 DPI, so I want a file that has, at minimum 360 DPI x "image side length"
on each axis.  Thus a 1 x 1.5 inch image, scanned at 720 DPI per edge, gives
me a file that prints  2 x 3 inches.  Conversely, if I want to make a 10 x
15
inch image from a 35mm slide, I scan at least to (360 DPI x 10 inches) x
(360 DPI x 15 Inches) or (3600 x 5400), which is a big file!

The Nikon scanner gives 4000 x 6000, & with 4x scanning, 16 bit and digital
ice, scanning a color slide yields a 120 Meg file; just right for a
Photographic
quality 11x16 print.  If I have to go bigger yet I either print at 240 PPI,
or use Genuine Fractals for a 2x maximum enlargement.  Otherwise
out comes the 2&1/4 or the 4x5, cause there are limits to what even a
Leica and 35mm film can do!

Hope this helps some,
Norm

Message: 22