Subject: [Leica] SUMMILUX 50/1,4 Asph
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Nov 10 08:23:24 2004

Richard asked:
Subject: Re: [Leica] SUMMILUX 50/1,4 Asph

> At 09:29 AM 11/9/2004, TTAbrahams@aol.com wrote:
>>... Any negatives? Well, nit-picking I would say that the lock for the
>>hood is a
>>bit too short
>
> Tom, thanks for the report. So you did not experience any mechanical
> difficulties like the ones John Collier did with his? Overall, what would
> you about its build quality?<

Not Tom, ted here.

This past weekend I was in Vancouver and Tom handed me his RD 1 with the
50mm lens and it felt well balanced, the lens was as smooth as silk and cut
a quite different... better looking image on the digital RD1 than anything
else I've seen.

A clean, nicely contrasted image that for a few moments I almost thought, "
well the Noctilux is coming on 30 years working hard in my hands" and this
new 50, although not F. 1.0, I was tempted for a moment to consider buying
one. However, within eye sight of she who must be obeyed I remained silent
and dismissed the purchasing thoughts quicker than I'd considered them. Damn
I'm really getting old! ;-) Younger days I'd have got it in the blink of an
eye and worried about it later. ;-)

The lens has excellent hand, finger feel and from what I saw on the viewing
screen cut a fine clean image. I'd like to have it for a few days doing a
walk about shooting B&W "film" and make some big prints.

But for what it's worth, I'd not hesitate buying if someone were into 50mm
big time, even at such a price. In the long run I believe it would pay for
itself over time from the recorded quality cut in film.

ted

Message from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] SUMMILUX 50/1,4 Asph)