Subject: [Leica] OT:How many languages do you speak?
From: dpost at triad.rr.com (Dan Post)
Date: Tue Nov 9 13:57:16 2004

Douglas M. Sharp wrote:

> Native language Yorkshire West Riding.
> Some Cockney, Brum, Geordie and Scouse.
> Also English and more or less perfekt Deutsch, a little Low German
> (Plattdeutsch - a language, not a dialect).
> Any speakers of Strine on the list? - good on yer' cobbers!
> Douglas
>
> telyt@earthlink.net schrieb:
>
>>> I came up with the question, how many varieties of languages we speak.
>>>

>> My native language is the USA variety of English mit ein bischen Deutsch
>> and fluency in x86 assembly and in Kodachrome.
>>
>> Doug Herr
>> Birdman of Sacramento
>> http://www.wildlightphoto.com

> Douglas,

You mention Plattdeutsch as a seperate language.... Meine
Grossvatter..er My Grandfather was  of Pennsylvania German stock- his
father had migrated to Liberty, Indiana. The German locals there spoke
what was there called Plattdeutsche. It had somehow been diluted with
words from der English- they'd tell you to 'outen der light' when you
left a room. That sort of thing.

I always though Low German was what was spoken in the areas near the Low
Countries, near the western borders- and was different from the High
German the Northern Prussians and I think Westphalians spoke. This
didn't discount the fact that the Bavarians speak something that only
vaguely resembles any German I was ever exposed to!  :o)

Dan ( "I' mocht' so gern ein Masskrug sein- so grosse vie ganz Bayern!")
Post

Replies: Reply from DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp) ([Leica] Plattdeutsch)
Message from DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp) ([Leica] OT:How many languages do you speak?)