Subject: [Leica] Summilux vs. Summicron
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Nov 9 12:55:34 2004

On 11/9/04 10:58 AM, "telyt@earthlink.net" <telyt@earthlink.net> typed:

> B. D. Colen <bdcolen@earthlink.net> wrote (with snide remarks snipped):
>
>> the top of the line digital cameras have not been depreciating to
>> nothing; they've been holding a surprising percentage of their value.
>
> Hom much is an early top-of-the-line Kodak DCS camera worth now, and how
> much was it when new?  I don't know the model numbers but IIRC "new" was on
> the order of $20,000.  Perhaps 5 years is a reasonable useful life for a
> top-of-the-line digital while top film cameras' useful life is often
> measured in decades.  What do you consider a few years?  3?  10?
>
> Doug Herr

It's my impression which I stated last week on the lug and no one disagree
with me that the Kodak D1x is still amazingly pervasive and omnipresent.
They are still "out there" in use.
And it's been 45 months since their release.

When the D2x comes out any minute it will be a big deal but the D1x's will
not simultaneously self destruct.

They may start asking for higher image specs but I'm not seeing that
happening. The cameras of a few years ago were already delivering more than
usable results. Many had black and white and other features which are some
how missing from most modern this years cameras. But are coming back.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/