Subject: [Leica] Summilux vs. Summicron
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Nov 9 10:41:28 2004

One doesn't have to be a "machine gun photographer" for digital to make
sense, Doug - but I know that you know that. Digital allows one to turn
those "deliberate" images around virtually instantly when that's what
the client wants. And while I know this will come as a real shock to
you, the top of the line digital cameras have not been depreciating to
nothing; they've been holding a surprising percentage of their value. I
say "surprising," because, like you, I would have thought they'd be
worth next to nothing. But there is clearly a good used market for the
Nikon D1s and the earlier Canons among non-pros who want to move up from
the cheapo models they have originally purchased.

But the bottom line is that you will probably be happy with film until
the day, many decades hence, that you switch from shooting birds to
shooting angels. But you are hardly the average pro out there attempting
to earn a living with photography.

B. D.