Subject: [Leica] Fossils and Minerals - Learning Slowly but Surely
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Tue Nov 9 07:15:36 2004

Douglas - In looking at these I found myself fascinated by the
objects; not the photographs, which to my mind means the pictures are
a real success.  The only minor comment I would make is that in the
photograph of the quartz crystal, I think the top of the crystal
could have stood out more from the rock behind it.

I looked back through some of your earlier photos, too.  The swan is
gorgeous: all well-modelled white and pale yellow against the solid
black water.

In the photo of the brass band, and this may just be my way of
seeing, I would have gotten myself square to the tubas and cropped
the photo to three of them and three of the players with the top of
the photo just above the heads of the players.  This close cropping
is something I picked up from comments  made by Ted and others at the
Hyannis meeting and from comments on some of the photos I posted
recently.  Sometimes it seems it's almost impossible to crop too
tightly.

Your self portrait in the dome is fun.  I've taken quite a few
pictures of that kind myself, with varying success.  This is a good
example of a successful one.

Nice pictures!