Subject: [Leica] Summilux vs Summicron; and LHSA
From: sethrosner at direcway.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Mon Nov 8 17:59:44 2004

Don, I have owned only one non-Leitz/Leica 50mm lens, the Nikkor 50/1,4.
Have owned and used the 50/2 Summar, 50/3,5 Elmar, 50/2,8 Elmar, 50/2
Summitar, 50/1,5 Summarit, 50/2 DR and Rigid Summicron, 50/2 Summicron-R
(1964 and 1971 [?] versions), 50/2 Summicron-M 11817 and 11819 and the 1962
50/1,4 Summilux. All wonderful lenses in their own styles and "fingerprints"
as Erwin describes it.

And ten days ago at the LHSA meeting in Williamsburg I used a loaner 50/1,4
Summilux ASPH loaner provided by Christian Erhard from Leica Northvale.
Awaiting results although am persuaded from all feedback that this lens
really is the ne plus ultra. That said, I am inclined to guess that it's
image is still a little more harder and contrasty than I like and will
probably remain true to the DR/Rigid both for imagery and the fortress-like
integrity of their construction.

Reminds me to suggest to all that LHSA meetings habitually provide a
marvelous forum and meeting-place as well as an opportunity to borrow and
use the most recent Leica offerings. As well, in W'burg, Ralph Hagenauer
from Solms led a small group in a Leica Akademie shoot and evaluation
session on Thursday. We used borrower Digilux 2 cameras provided by Leica,
Ralph burned CD's overnight for our critique Friday morning. We used digital
due to a percieved concern that Ralph might not be able to find a store to
process our film overnight for the next-day critique.

The LHSA 2005 Spring shoot will be in New Orleans (are you there, Sonny?) in
late March or early April and the annual meeting in San Francisco in October
'05 (though some possibility of last weekend in September). Leica and Ralph
Hagenauer will be doing another Leica Akademie, we'll have a Napa wine
country tour and hope to have a post-meeting three-day excursion to Yosemite
about which I have already spoken with the Birdman of Sacramento, our own
Doug - get-out-the-Leicaflex-SL's - Herr. For that, I may even have to add a
400/6,8 Telyt to the arsenal.

Join LHSA early, join often! Even if you don't get to a meeting - which you
should - the VIEWFINDER magazine is worth the annual dues. My god, if Marc
James belongs, can you all be far behind?

See the website to join, tell them that LaK 9 sent you.

Best to all,

Seth