Subject: [Leica] Update images using the R-D1
From: thlrlgrp at mac.com (Mike Cahill)
Date: Mon Nov 8 09:23:39 2004

On 11/8/04 9:54 AM, "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@telia.com> wrote:

> Thanks for sharing! Well, these pics look really great, in every way.
> Gridstone, Cemetary road and Eastpoint light are my favourites.
> I too, have been contempating about this camera. What stops me is the 1,5x
> factor, meaing that a 21mm lens will become a 30mm lens, the 35mm will
> become a 50mm, etc etc.
> I have been using Nikon DSLR:s for a couple of years, and the wide angle is
> always a problem. My widest lens is the 17-55/2.8 zoom, that works like a
> 25-82mm zoom.
>
> For me, the Leica and RD-1 type of cameras are best for 21-28-35-50mm lens,
> and a 15mm lens would equal 22mm. But what is the finder like? Does it work
> like a DSLR, so that you don't need extra finders on top of the camera?
>
> Here are some more quick questions:
> -Can the SA21/3.4 be used on the R-D1?
> -Can the 15mm heliar be used with the adapter to Leica mount?
>
> Maybe there is a site with answers to these questions, I would be very
> grateful for a URL.
>
> Anyway, the R-D1 looks very interesting!
>
> Best,
> Hans
>
>> I love this camera......
>>
>> http://mikecahill.typepad.com/photos/epson_rd1_images/index.html

Hi Hans,

I don't believe you can use the 21mm Super Angulon with the R-D1, the rear
element extends too far into the camera.  The 15mm VC lens works very well
and if you mount a 21mm finder to the top of the camera you can get a good
approximation for framing.  I use the Tri-Elmar almost exclusively with the
camera, with the addition of the 21mm VC and approximate the framing.

The camera has built in framelines for 28-35-50, the same focal lengths of
the Tri Elmar, other focal lengths would need a viewfinder to be precise.

I also use the Canon 1Ds, particularly if precise framing, macro, TS or
telephoto work is required.  What I like most about the R-D1 is that I can
take a small bag and three lenses and pretty much do what I always did with
my M's.  Lightweight, easy, with excellent image quality.

MC