Subject: [Leica] re: iMac G5
From: heintz at ucalgary.ca (John W. Heintz)
Date: Mon Nov 8 07:35:11 2004

> From: "Robert Clark" <rclark01@comcast.net>
> Date: 4 November 2004 11:05:45 GMT-07:00
> To: "Leica Users Group" <lug@leica-users.org>
> Subject: [Leica] Appple G5
>

> I'm looking pretty seriously at an Apple G5 and will probably go with
> the G5
> iMac with the thin 20in screen integrated into the computer hardware.
> have used mostly PC's in my work but my spouse has a G4 and I like
> using it
> for working with photoshop and Nikon software.  I'd like to know if we
> have
> G5 users on the group and if so, are the users pleased?  From what I
> understand, the G5 is a terrific machine for graphics and manipulation
> of
> large graphic files if you have ample memory.  I''ll probably go with
> the
> 1.8mhz processor.  If I had and was willing to spend it, the stand
> along G5
> with dual processors looks sweet but given the way I'll be using mine
> (not
> for profit...hobby type work), I'm thinking the G5 iMac would be the
> best
> solution for me.  I use a Nikon D70 and will be getting a scanner for
> use
> with my M6.
>
> Thoughts?
Hi Robert,

I've been using a powerbook G4 for massaging my photos, and plan to
upgrade to the G5 iMac after the new year. I find iPhoto pretty good
for importing, sorting, and cataloguing photos, as well as e-mailing to
friends (automatically lowers file size - ok for monitor). It has a
very easy way of exporting to Photoshop for serious adjustments.

I've found Adam Engst's  book on iPhoto very useful.

I'm waiting a few months to buy the new iMac, because Apple usually
announces minor upgrades and glitch-fixes (at the same or lower price
point) around 6 months after releasing a new model. So we can expect
such an announcement sometime after the holiday season. I learned about
this from one of Engst's 'Take Control' e-books that sell for around $5
on this site:
      http://www.tidbits.com/takecontrol/

Have a look there for well-written, thoughtful guides for Mac users.
I'm also a religious reader of Engst's Mac newsletter, free from
        http://www.tidbits.com/

john h