Subject: [Leica] LHSA convention cluster bombs Part One The Beginning.
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Nov 4 12:12:51 2004

On 11/3/04 10:59 PM, "Slobodan Dimitrov" <s.dimitrov@charter.net> typed:

> I wouldn't go so far as to say that APO is a term projecting absolute
> quality. It's more in the line of a relative value.
> It's my understanding that apo lenses focus all the color sources at a
> specific focus distance set by the manufacturer. The other ranges, more or
> less, work like any other optic.
> I'll gladly stand corrected if I'm wrong.
> S. Dimitrov

To me there are two definitions of APO.
One for the better lens design companies and one for the unwashed masses.

For Leica Hasselblad etc it means they've really lined all three major
colors to hit the same film plane at the same time with a tele lens.
Otherwise apparently not even considered. They'd just go for two.

For Tamron (My spell checker insists it's Tampon) or what ever companies
you'd call the unwashed masses (I'm Bullish on Sigma) the definition of AP0
is:

It cost $199 instead of $99 and it's not a total piece of junk.

It's ok to use in public.

Somewhere in the lens assembly there is a part not made of plastic.

And the glass is real glass not acrylic.

Real nice typography on the lens barrel. They hired a graphic artist who
does it full time.
:)

Mark Rabiner
Photography