Subject: [Leica] More snaps (Skopar)
From: kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier)
Date: Wed Nov 3 07:40:45 2004

> I don't know our
> uncalibrated eyeballs can do as well as they do.

I had an interesting discussion with a cabinet maker and later with an
Intensive Care physician several years ago about the ability of our
"uncalibrated eyeballs" to discern "out-of-true" lines.  Cabinet makers,
I learned, have always known that the unaided human eye (assuming
average eyesight), can detect 1/64" and 1/128" over a length of 3'.  The
physician was treating my wife, who had a Swan-Ganz (sp?) catheter.  For
the treatment to work properly, as I recall, a long level had to
extended horizontally from the catheter entry site in her chest out to
the side of the patient.  Several nurses were fussing with the thing
when the doc came in and, rather impatiently explained to the nurses
that the human eye was more capable of detecting out-of-level conditions
than by using the level.  He then proceeded to demonstrate, and he was
right!

Amazing what the eye can do!

Ken Frazier

Replies: Reply from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] More snaps (Skopar))