Subject: [Leica] Today - was Tomorrow
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue Nov 2 09:20:55 2004

The vote for President in the United States isn't "one man, one vote"
and thus the winner of the popular vote wins. Instead each state
elects a slate of electors designated to the candidate on the ballot.
The number of electors for each state is the sum of representatives
and senators for that state. Thus California, at 55, has the largest
number and Wyoming has 3. Some states are choosing to determine the
number of electors sent to the electoral college by giving a
percentage of the popular vote. I believe Maine does this and it's on
the ballot in Colorado. The Constitution doesn't tell the several
states how to determine the makeup, just WHEN: the first Tuesday after
the first Monday in November.

There are movements for ammendments to the Constitution to change this
but I can't see them passing any time soon. It re-inforces the fact
that the United States is a REPUBLIC and not a true democracy.

We could, as my wife says, get the full lesson since in the event of a
tie in the electoral college the House of Representatives will choose
the President on the basis of one vote per state. The Senate votes to
choose the VP.

Oh - note that the electors are essentially free agents. They can
choose to vote how they wish. So if the apparent elected president is
killed or incapacitated before they meet...well...then things get
REALLY interesting.

I don't believe I have ever met an elector from any state. They are
high up in the political party and I don't climb in that atmosphere.

Hope this helps and if I get any of it wrong I'm sure someone will correct
me!