Subject: [Leica] Today - was Tomorrow-a picture
From: kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier)
Date: Tue Nov 2 06:54:04 2004

> What's all that about then?

Turnout is expected to be high, very high, this year, for a number of
reasons.

For the past month or so, the streets of CT towns and cities have been
filled with young people "getting out the vote," doing voter
registration.  Many of them...at least the ones I've talked to...all the
ones I've talked to, as a matter of fact....have been Democratic party
organizers, most of them college students.  They've been working in
shopping malls, just about anywhere there are groups of people who can
be contacted easily.  I understand this has been going on all over the
country, and has been expected to produce higher voter turnout.

There is also a fair amount of polarization in the US, a lot of it
fueled by very visceral stuff...mix politics and religion, as a lot of
folk are doing in this election and you will likely motivate some who
would otherwise stay away.

There is also this "security" thing, and it seems to be pushing a lot of
people, in both directions, politically speaking.  (I speak only from
anecdotal evidence, my parishioners, local townfolk.  Weston, CT, and
other nearby communities lost a lot of family and friends on 9/11.  Many
of my folk worked in the financial markets and made it out by the skin
of their teeth.  They tell of running for their lives in utter horror.
One of my parishioners is a senior flight attendant who lost her closest
friend in one of the aircraft.  Security is a BIG issue and is swaying a
lot of voters here.)

Caveat:  I speak only of what I see and know here in my community, and
around CT.

The whole thing ought to be very, very, interesting, to put it mildly!

Ken Frazier
Weston, CT USA

Replies: Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (feli) ([Leica] Today - was Tomorrow-a picture)