Subject: LIGHT (was: Re: [Leica] WAS: LEICA SEMINAR! 2004. NOW: PHOTOGRAPHIC DISCUSSION. ?)
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Mon Nov 1 13:24:10 2004

"Richard S. Taylor" <r.s.taylor@comcast.net> wrote:

> Doug - That actually is a concern I have about the cropped photo.  I
> don't know if it will stand on its own or not.

>>Of the reflected light photos I like
>>he tighter crop.  In the uncropped photo the bright area at the
>>right is a major distraction but I wonder how long it would have
>>taken me to "get" the cropped photo if I hadn't seen the uncropped
>>one first?

Dick, what I like is that it's an abstract image of very ordinary things.
Everything I need to see in order to understand it is in the picture but it
would probably take me a long time to figure it out.  In this way it reminds
me of a B&W photo I saw a long time ago, photographer unknown, of a Ford
Trimotor airplane parked in front of a corrugated metal building.  If you
recall what the Trimotor looked like, it was also made of what looked like
corrugated metal.  At first glance the photo was a wild jumble of lines
running practially every direction but once you understood that it was the
Trimotor the whole thing made sense.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com