Subject: [Leica] LIGHT......PHOTOGRAPHIC DISCUSSION. !
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Nov 1 11:26:08 2004

> Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> wrote:
> >> we might discuss the most important element of successful photography,
> >> light!

Douglas Herr offered & showed:
> > I'm game!  Here are a few examples to start things off.  I'll take a
> > thin overcast over
> > direct ..sunlight any day but whatever the light is I want to make the
> > most of it:
> > thin overcast:
>
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/raptors/buow01.jpg
> The overcast acts as a huge white light source giving gentle shadow
> transitions no hot spots and rich warm colors.  A blue sky fills the
> shadows and leafy reflections with blue.
>
> direct sunlight:
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/raptors/haha00.jpg
> Not my favorite light 'cuz shadows are so dark.  I avoid putting much
> shadow area in the photo when I've got direct sunlight to work with.
>
> backlight (2 examples)
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/hummingbirds/hbird.jpg
> With transluscent stuff you can make colors light up.  Use a flare-proff
> lens or keep the front of the lens shaded.
>
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/cbth00.jpg
> backlight with opaque subject gives you rim light; best if you can keep
> your background and lens in the shade. <<<<<<<<<

Hi Doug,
As always these are examples of a "Master in understanding how to make light
work in the success of your photographs!" It's always the same thing. It's
your understanding of how to make the light work effectively as opposed to
enough for an exposure.

Enough for an exposure is easy, anyone can do that with a point & shoot or
the most expensive camera available. But recognizing the light and how it
enhances your situation is far more important than the volume to make an
exposure. Sure one still requires sufficient for a correct exposure, however
it's "seeing the light" and using it effectively is what makes the "Magic of
Light" work.

The light to watch for and use in shooting as an opening lesson in ones
search for light is...... "Look for the shadow side then shoot from that
side." This doesn't mean silhouette, it's a form of 3/4 lighting where the
shadow is off to one side toward the camera side.

My suggestion is... go to your local library and see if they have art books
showing the paintings of Rembrandt and you'll see exactly what I mean
immediately. Or any books with "portraits" and look for the "Rembrandt
lighting or 3/4 light" illustrating a small highlight on the off side cheek
and eye on the "shadow side."

Once you have this recognition down pat, you'll find yourself gravitating to
the shadow side automatically as you view the scene or situation before you.

For those of you with copies of my medical books, "Doctors' Work,"  "This is
Our Work," or the latest "Women in Medicine" you'll find many examples of
shooting from the shadow side in completely un-controlled environments. Look
for it every where you go and eventually it's as simple as breathing and
your picture "look" will improve.

Then it's easy after you have one kind of light recognition learned, as
you'll begin to see others that Doug has shown examples of so beautifully in
his photographs.

Whether one is shooting on film or memory cards doesn't matter as it still
comes down to the best pictures have the best light making them work.

Just look at the portraits of Karsh.... he was an absolute master of the
20th century at using light photographically. He was also a mentor of sort
in the success of my photography over the years along with his brother Malak
as they both lived in Ottawa and became friends of mine. Trust me a critique
from Karsh was an un-nerving experience to say the least! :-)

Anyway as you can see from Doug Herr's beautiful photographs and his use of
light makes magical photographs everytime.

It's all about light first and the rest is easy after that. ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] LIGHT......PHOTOGRAPHIC DISCUSSION. !)
Reply from telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr) ([Leica] LIGHT......PHOTOGRAPHIC DISCUSSION. !)