Subject: [Leica] Fossils and Minerals - help!
From: DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Mon Nov 1 08:50:55 2004

I've been trying to get some decent shots of fossils and stuff I collected
in
the UK over the past couple of years. Somehow they just don't seem right to
me.

Any suggestions please on a) lighting
                           b) backgrounds
                           c) point of focus - front, middle or ???

Taken with a Leica Macro-Elmarit 100/4 at f16

I've seen transparent crystals shot against black velvet backgrounds and
they
seem to have an "inner light" how do I get this effect?

Would very much appreciate any ideas, hints or references.
Douglas

http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/pyrites2
Iron Pyrites with natural lighting from left, artificial from back right.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/Pyrites_copy
Iron Pyrites with natural lighting from left, artificial from back right.
b/w version

http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/Ammonites_copy
Bedded ammonites (8mm diameter) lit from top left, normal room lighting.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/ammonite
cross-section of a filed chamber in an ammonite fossil, daylight from left

http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/ammonites
Raw and cut and polished ammonites - showing external and internal structure
daylight from left

http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/urchins

with this last shot I'm trying to show the similarity of a fossilised sea
urchin
and a modern one. I've tried all sorts of angles and lighting but it is
always
just dead boring. It just doesn't work.

Replies: Reply from dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Fossils and Minerals - help!)
Reply from jdos2 at mindspring.com (Jeff Sumner) ([Leica] Fossils and Minerals - help!)