Subject: [Leica] Genuine Fractals-any good?
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Mon Oct 25 03:41:46 2004

Frank Filippone wrote:
> I disagree.. Pixels are actual  representations of the amount of light
> hitting a specific small area on the sensor.  Same as silver molecules on
> real film, but Digital data is quantized, so it is an approximation of the
> actual value to the nearest quantized level.  Scanner or sensor,
> same issue.
> The pixels are real.
>
> Up sampling is making up pixels.  There were no available sensor locations
> for these pixels.

Frank,

Do you feel the same way about enlargements in film photography ?
How are they more "real" than digital upsampling ?  It may work better
(say to 10x compared to maybe 2x or 3x for digital upsampling), but
it is not any more "real" to me.

Besides, realism is not the only worthy pursuit in photography.

-  Phong

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Genuine Fractals-any good?)