Subject: [Leica] Here we go, RD-1 in the US
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Oct 22 20:19:53 2004

At 7:49 PM -0400 10/22/04, B. D. Colen wrote:
>But wait, girls and boys - EITHER this camera is the dog described by
>Henning - in which case $1500 is $1500 too much - or else it is the
>pretty good camera described by many others who have used it, a camera
>that produces images on a level with the D100, in which case the price
>is high, but perhaps acceptable in order to be able to shoot digitally
>with a rangefinder.
>
>Which is it? ;-)

If I gave the impression that it's a dog, I'm sorry. It's not. It's
just not a camera that can handle certain lenses, and parts of the
user interface need improvement. If you use it with a 35mm or 50mm
lens, and leave it set on B&W jpeg mode, and don't have to go into
the menus regularly, it can do an excellent job. Then it is truly a
Digital M; fast, straightforward and it fades into part of the action.

The limitations are real, and are such that I am not interested in
the camera, but I am not a one lens person as wides are important to
me. They may not be to others, and then the camera is fine, as long
as Epson can lock down that rangefinder within reasonable tolerances.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design