Subject: [Leica] W--I--D--E Portraits
From: daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Fri Oct 22 02:34:20 2004

> cryptic you feel it is.  The degree of the present incumbent's paranoia and
> malice cannot be underestimated and life could be made very difficult for
> your subject.

Yes, overestimated as you noted.

I spoke with him about this and he was adamant. "What are they going to
do? Arrest _all_ of us?" It's a fairly common sentiment now-a-days. Still,
I took it away anyway and you are right. Things can get touchy.
Particularly with "elections" coming on. I have two graduate students due
to do their field work in 2005. They're a little worried, to say the
least.

I can't really see myself going back there and it feels a little bitter.
I've been working there since 1992 and really love the place. I'll
probably be back anyway, after the elections. We'll see. The bitterness
comes from seeing people who I know well and have followed for so many
years, struggling, have such a hard life now. It's indescribable and any
attempt to do so (photographically) would be suicide. Probably literally.

Thanks for the nice remark about the portrait. I was quite happy with it
myself.

Best,
Daniel