Subject: [Leica] Hybrid Collapsible 'Cron
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (Bob Palmieri)
Date: Thu Oct 21 10:03:51 2004

Folks -

Just when you thought you knew (or at least have heard) all there is to
be said about the various 50 Summicrons I have a question about a
possible contemporary variant.

A highly regarded authority  has told me that if you get a collapsible
'cron with a squeaky-clean front element it's very likely that it's
been replaced with a new one which "may not match the original optics".
  Whether this means that the glass and/or its curvatures are different
from the original or that Leitz may have done more
component-to-component matching in the days of yore I don't know.

I have such a lens, which I use for my daily knockaround rig, and I'm
quite happy with the results (at f4 and smaller, anyway).

My questions are as follows:

1.  Does anyone know the specifics on this issue?

2. Do we think the replaced element might have a harder coating that
the original, thereby freeing me to ditch the dreaded UV filter that's
been living on this thing?

I  suppose I could send it off to John Van Stelton, who I'm sure would
have some pretty definitive answers. But instead of being without my
everyday eye on the world around me for an unknown period of time, I
hereby query the LUG at Large...

Bob Palmieri

Replies: Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] FS: 2.0/50mm Summicron $475)
Reply from jblack at ambio.net (John Black) ([Leica] Hybrid Collapsible 'Cron)