Subject: [Leica] Recent Leica 90/2.8 - Seeking Comments and Advice
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Oct 20 15:00:36 2004

Dan Colucci said:

> The 90mm Summicron-M has personality...at F 2 and 2.8, pictures have a
> very smooth, creamy look to them.  At F4 and 5.6, images pop - with an
> almost 3d appearance.....But the 90/2.8 is cold and clinical - there is no
> modeling... some may like/want that...but not me.  Maybe "fingerprint" is
> a word you all understand more clearly...<<<

Hi Dan,
OK now I know what you're talking about as I've seen many folks use
"fingerprint" as the description for a lens look.

I find comments like yours and those of others when describing the look of a
lens as quite interesting, as it never occurred to me to consider the effect
you folks see as making a successful photographic moment. I suppose it's the
subject some shoot where this Creamy effect is more important than to those
of us who work as photojournalists.

The only thing I've always been interested in is, "that the photograph is
sharp and has the dynamic appearance of capturing the moment when I tripped
the shutter." If you have the opportunity to look at our new book, "Women in
Medicine. A Celebration of their Work." it's a B&W real life moments working
with the women medical practitioners across North America. And not once in
shooting 300 rolls in several months and associate Sandy Carter 200 rolls,
did we ever consider the "look of the creamy etc appearance"

I realize with many of the Leica lenses back grounds or the "bohek" is
important to many on the list. But here again whatever happens in the
background happens, but it never crosses my mind to consider it because as a
photojournalist I'm far more concerned about the impact of the picture than
the bohek or creamy looks.

If you do have a moment and pop into a book store to have a Look at WIM
you'll see what I mean.

ted Grant