Subject: [Leica] LEICA SEMINAR! 2004 :-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Oct 18 22:54:45 2004

Hi Guys and Gals,

Just home from a  very successful Leica Seminar held in Hyannis, MA.. More
than extremely happy with the number of folks attending along with the
wonderful responses to my "passing out pearls of photographic wisdom." ;-)
Hey I'm not kidding, ;-) some even said they really liked it and learned
something! And would come again if it were to happen.. :-)

Some LUG folks there, key pounders and lurkers to keep the old lad on his
toes. :-)

Managed to get Tina Manley on her feet to make a few comments about digital
printing in response to questions regarding her beautiful photographs she
brought along of her work as a professional photographer of the best.  WOW!
You guys must see her "real prints" instead of looking at the screen! No
comparison, kind of takes yer breath away in real life. Damn she's good! :-)
Big tall Don Dory was seen to be snapping every where. :-) Good to see you
again Don. :-)

No R8-9 digi backs :-( as it looks like there will be some kind of delay
having them available. :-( Anyone attending the big photo show in New York
this week or next? you "may or may not" see one. However, don't hold yer
breath!

Enjoyed a quiet Monday evening visiting BD and wife Sara, along with Buzz
Hausner and wife Beth one of the stars in the book, "Women in Medicine."
along with a few other Leica folks. It was a subdued gathering due to BD's
back problem and pain rather than the regular wild and raucous group of
LUGITTES who've enjoyed great food, liquids and camaraderie at BD and
Saras's home just before the Leica Seminar opening during the past few
years.

End result of the seminar? According to many it was a smashing great
success. :-)

The airport security people going and coming home were amazingly polite,
careful in handling gear and not acting like dumb asses with stealthful
eyes. More than one was smiling and chatting. :-) Although the young lad
trying to get an M7 out of my bag near choked when I said, "Please sir, do
be careful as that camera and Noctilux lens with Abrahamsson RapidWinder is
about $7000.00!" I smiled and asked, "May I assist you?"  He says, "No
thanks as I have to do it myself! But I will be very careful." I smiled
again and he said...."I bet this camera takes really really good snaps!"

Damn! And right their his credibility went down the tube! :-)

I had the pleasure of sharing coffee with Michael Hintlian and purchasing
his newly released book..."Digging."  Produced from the huge dig project
through the undergrounds of Boston. It's a fabulous book tribute to a very
fine photographer! B&W photography as powerful as it gets! It's the subtle
things he's seen and put on film that makes it a great learning tool in
"seeing and not just looking!" It's his eye for small elements and
composition that make amazing photographs look great!

I believe BD posted  praise sometime ago, but folks I've got to tell you buy
it, don't even think about it! Just get it, you wont be sorry! If you're
into photo books of any kind and wish to pick up pointers on not just
looking at a subject, but seeing it with a keen eye, this is it.

So there we are a small outline of the week past!

ted Grant

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] LEICA SEMINAR! 2004 :-))